Aloe vera is one of the most powerful and well-known medicinal plants. Its use dates back more than 5000 years, and traces of it have been found in many civilizations (Traditional Chinese Medicine, Mediterranean peoples of Antiquity, ancient Egypt, ancient Greece, etc.). Today it has a worldwide reputation due to its extensive use in cosmetics, in particular for treating burns, sunburns, healing wounds and combating cell aging.

However, scientists also give it very specific medicinal properties, and herbalists use it to cleanse the intestinal flora, fight constipation, strengthen the immune system and improve blood circulation. Its use is therefore very widespread.

What aloe vera is made of

Aloe vera has one of the most interesting compositions with, like a cactus, over 99% water. The remaining 1% is a very powerful synergy of 150 different elements including: 12 vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B12, C and E, but also many minerals and trace elements: calcium, sodium, chlorine, manganese, magnesium, copper, chromium, zinc, selenium, germanium, phosphorus, potassium, iron, tannins, and even more than 18 amino acids.

Aloe vera is therefore one of the richest plants on the planet along with with Goji berry and Acai berry, but also algae such as Spirulina and Chlorella, as well as Maca. Its composition largely explains its very broad and powerful properties. The gel, extracted from aloe vera, is the most important part, and contains among other things Acemannan which allows better oxygenation of cells, as well as better blood circulation.

A concentrate of nutrients

Since aloe vera is a fatty plant that is packed with nutrients, the juice from its pulp is also very interesting from a nutritional point of view. Indeed, aloe vera juice is rich in vitamins A, B, and E, in minerals such as iron, zinc, calcium, potassium, phosphorus. It is also rich in antioxidants, compounds that fight the action of free radicals in the body and that protect us from premature aging by promoting cell regeneration

A detox miracle

Aloe vera juice has purifying and detoxifying properties that make it THE ideal drink for a detox cure! Indeed, this drink has no equal in eliminating the toxins that clutter the body, and prevent it from functioning at its best.

The action of aloe vera juice is particularly interesting after a period rich in excess, because it is very effective in ridding the intestines of the waste they contain!

To fight digestive problems

Good news for people who suffer from digestive disorders (bloating, gas, stomach pain, acid reflux, etc.): aloe Vera juice is known to facilitate the functioning of the digestive system (and urinary system also for that matter) and therefore the digestion.

Aloe vera juice can also be helpful with temporary constipation, as it gently boosts transit.

Good for the skin

The purifying properties of aloe vera juice are not only interesting for our organism internally: they are also seen from the outside! Indeed, consumed as a cure, aloe vera juice moisturizes and cleanses the skin: ideal for people prone to small acne pimples, blackheads or who have oily skin.

The icing on the cake: as aloe vera being a healing plant, its juice prevents the formation of small wounds that sometimes appear following a pimple.

How to drink Aloe vera juice

Despite its vast number of health and beauty benefits, aloe vera juice has one weak point: its taste, to say the least, is rather special. If you can’t handle it by itself, you can mix it with fresh fruit juice or by pouring it into a smoothie.

Last indication: as a cure, it is recommended not to consume more than 30 ml of aloe vera juice per day.

Betsy Wilson

Betsy is a true science nerd, down to the glasses. Her words, not mine! She works as a nurse specializing in pediatric nursing. She holds a Master's degree from the University of Pennsylvania. She is passionate about all thing pregnancy and baby-related.