Of course, a lick of nail polish has its ‘expiration date’, but there are a few remedies that you can apply to keep it even and shiny for as long as possible. Good preparation is half the job!
A few simple steps for a brilliant result:
- Start with nails that are completely clean and filed to the desired shape. Make them fat-free by soaking them in a vinegar bath for a few minutes. This ensures a beautiful and even adhesion of the paint. if you do not want to soak them in the vinegar, you can use a cotton swab instead although that may be a bit more tedious.
- Instead of shaking the jar of nail polish, roll it firmly instead between your hands so that no air bubbles form. When there are air bubbles in the nail polish, it will adhere less well, making it easier to peel off.
- Are you not yet a ‘pro’ at applying nail polish or do you often find yourself painting outside the lines? Then apply some Vaseline to the skin strip along your nails with a cotton swab. The nail polish that ends up on it will not stick to your skin and you can easily wipe it away after painting without messing up your lacquered nails.
- Once the vinegar has completely dried off, apply a basecoat (base layer). It will hold the paint you put on for longer. With the use of a transparent topcoat, you avoid pigments penetrating into the top layer of your nail plate. They can leave a yellowish discoloration on your nail plate when you remove the paint again.
- Then apply a thin layer of nail polish and pull them over the entire length of the nail, over the edge. A full cover ensures that you are less likely to tear off or break the lacquered nail. Start at the cuticle and draw continuous stripes towards the tip of your nail.
Dark lacquer makes your nails look shorter, with light pastel shades or skin tone your nails look longer.
- Place a second and possibly a third thin layer until your nail is completely hidden under the paint and the paint is no longer transparent.
- Finish the paint with a topcoat (top layer). This is a protective layer that makes the paint less likely to crumble and it gives a nice shine.
- Finally, give the nail polish a cold shower. When the paint is completely dry, keep your nails under cold water to strengthen the nail polish even more.