Teeth whitening procedures at the dentist tend to be expensive and thus not at everyone’s financial reach. Yet, our teeth tend to turn yellow over time, often from smoking, drinking soda, coffee, and other foods. Needless to say that no one wants yellow, or worse, brown teeth. However, brushing alone is not enough. Rubbing like crazy will also not help.
There are a number of products on the market to whiten your teeth, but they too cost a fortune. These are the teeth whitening kits that sometimes do not even deliver on their promises. Fortunately, there are some natural solutions. Nature once again to the rescue.
Lemon and baking soda to whiten your teeth quickly
To whiten your teeth naturally, nothing is better than baking soda and lemon. Indeed, baking soda, also called sodium bicarbonate, is an ecological and natural substance, obtained from natural deposits. They should not be confused with elements of similar names, such as caustic soda or sodium carbonate, which are very dangerous chemical components.
Lemon, on the other hand, has an acidity such that it dissolves dental plaque and thus prevents the formation of tartar on the teeth. Lemon can also be used to cleanse the gums, keep your breath fresh, and maintain the acidity necessary for good oral hygiene.
Be careful, however, not to go overboard, because while these natural products can be good for you, they can be just as harmful if you use them too much. Use these ingredients sparingly.
How to prepare a baking soda and lemon solution for teeth whitening:
- Put 1 teaspoon of baking soda in an empty bowl
- Squeeze in a few drops of organic lemon juice
- Mix your preparation to obtain a consistent paste
- Take a piece of paper towel and dip it in your mixture
- Rub the soaked piece of paper towel on your teeth
- Leave the mixture on for 1 to 2 minutes maximum
- Rinse your teeth with clean water
As a reminder, do not leave this mixture on your teeth for more than 2 minutes, as this may damage your tooth enamel, due to the acidity of the preparation. You can repeat this operation once or twice a month, but no more.
Baking soda and hydrogen peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is produced naturally by microorganisms and can help in your teeth whitening endeavor. In fact, dentists are familiar with hydrogen peroxide, which is useful for disinfecting all kinds of wounds, inflammation, and for preventing any type of infection.
Hydrogen peroxide is a way to save a lot of money when it comes to whitening your teeth naturally. However, there are a number of precautions you should keep in mind when using hydrogen peroxide on your teeth if you do not want to damage your tooth enamel.
Hydrogen peroxide is a relatively aggressive product because it is a powerful oxidant. Its use should not be used lightly. Too frequent use of hydrogen peroxide can deteriorate the enamel of your teeth and cause pain in the gums. If you want to use it, use it occasionally, but never on a daily basis.
How to prepare a baking soda and hydrogen peroxide solution for teeth whitening:
- Put in 1 teaspoon of baking soda in an empty bowl
- Pour in a few drops of hydrogen peroxide
- Mix together to obtain a consistent paste
- Take your toothbrush and pass it in the bowl to collect the mixture
- Brush your teeth for 2 minutes maximum with this mixture
- Rinse your mouth with clean water
At first, use this preparation once a week, until you get the desired results. Then, limit brushing your teeth with this treatment to 1 time per month maximum.
Natural charcoal powder
Vegetable charcoal is a natural medicine obtained through the carbonization of several varieties of poplars or even coconut. To benefit from its benefits, you can add a little of this product directly to your toothpaste when brushing your teeth.
You can also pour some powdered charcoal into a cup, dip a damp cotton swab in it, and then apply it to your teeth, rubbing them one by one. Then rinse.
The whitening effects of charcoal will be noticed quite quickly! Once your teeth are whiter, apply this tip only once or twice a week, this will be enough.
Coarse sea salt
Thanks to its high iodine content, salt has great antiseptic and antifungal properties. How to use coarse sea salt to whiten teeth, you ask? 2-3 times a week, wash your teeth by mixing coarse sea salt with lukewarm water. You will get a kind of seawater. Just dip your regular toothbrush in this water and brush your teeth. Whitening effect guaranteed!
Foods that whiten teeth
While some foods will make your teeth yellow, others can help you maintain a beautiful, pristine smile:
- Broccoli, lettuce, spinach: when you consume them, a very fine compound is deposited on your teeth like a film that protects them from stains.
- Celery, carrots, cauliflower, cucumbers, pears: their fiber content is such that eating them is akin to brushing your teeth naturally.
- Cheeses: the proteins and fats contained in cheeses contribute to the neutralization of food acids. By its phosphorus and calcium content, cheese helps protect the teeth by re-mineralizing the enamel, which is 95% mineral.
Foods to avoid
Your teeth get stained because as the enamel becomes more porous with time, it lets through particles that diffuse when you chew food. By penetrating into the enamel, these compounds accumulate there and end up giving color to the teeth: which is very visible when you eat something of strong color, for example.
The more porous the enamel, the more sensitive it will be and the more persistent the stains will be.
Colorful foods that can stain your teeth
Colorful drinks and foods should be avoided to keep your teeth white and healthy! Do not consume certain foods or consume them in moderation:
- Colored drinks in general should be avoided
- Red wine, especially red wines rich in tannins
- Dark fruit juices such as cranberry
- Foods with very intense colors such as beetroot, blueberries, cherries, pomegranates, blackberries, licorice, turmeric, and curry sauces.
However, keep in mind that some of the foods mentioned in this list are healthy foods (vegetables and fruits). Make sure you do not deprive yourself of necessary nutrients. Try to find healthy alternatives in case you remove them from your diet.